CMS Jooma: no more guessing what type of extension you want to install
Basically, all sites created on the Joomla content management system (cms) use certain extensions. As you yourself guessed, the word "Extensions" means: components, modules and add-ons.
There are a large number of extensions, both freely distributed and commercially developed by various companies. Sometimes free, especially very useful extensions can become paid, for example, the sh404SEF component has become paid and to download the latest version you will need to purchase a membership on the developer's site, but still a large number of useful and free extensions remain, attracting more and more developers to the CMS Joomla.
Many people download installable packages and don't know what type they are. In fact, everything is simple, logical, and will give you difficulties after reading this article.
There are five types of extensions:
- Components - in my opinion, the most important of the extensions, a kind of mini-applications, are used to display content in the main part of the page (content). For example (com_content) is the base component responsible for displaying articles in some way.
- Modules are small extensions designed to solve small problems, in most cases they are much smaller and simpler than components, they are placed not in the content , in the side columns, header, footer. For example, the module of the latest news, the most interesting news, the latest comments. It is also not uncommon for modules to be designed to work with a particular component (there can be many modules for one component).
- Add- ons - fragments of program code that can be used in any part of the site, are launched when the page is loaded. By the way, earlier additions were called mambots.
- Templates - responsible for the graphic design of the site . They include the positional placement of blocks, the color scheme of the site, drawings and fonts.
- Languages (Localization) - there are language packs that allow you to internationalize the system, by installing them, you can use the site in any language convenient for you. Also, all text elements in Joomla will be displayed in the selected language. Of course, when installing any kind of extension, do not forget about the access rights and directory assignments so that no errors occur during the installation process. (CMS Jooma itself will tell you which directories you need to set the rights to 775 or 777).
Of course, when installing any kind of extension, do not forget about the access rights and directory assignments so that no errors occur during the installation process. (CMS Jooma itself will tell you which directories you need to set the rights to 775 or 777).