How to choose CMS - advantages and disadvantages of website engines
CMS, speaking in human terms, is a content management system. A great many of them have divorced, but we will not immediately understand the features of each. First, let's look at the advantages and disadvantages of the three main varieties of these systems (commercial, free and studio) and help you make your choice.
Boxed commercial CMS
It is not difficult to guess that this subspecies of content management systems is distributed for a fee.
The most popular paid CMS:
Otherwise, boxed commercial CMS, like most paid licensed applications, are reliable and stable. In addition to a high level of security and regular updates, the owner of a paid engine can count on high-quality and timely technical support.
Who are paid content management systems suitable for:
- business card sites;
- corporate sites with a template structure and standard modules;
- a small segment of online stores and portals with typical functionality.
Disadvantages of boxed commercial CMS
- The high price is the main and most significant drawback. The cost of the system depends on the complexity of the functionality of the future resource and can sometimes exceed $3,000.
- A closed code is an insurmountable obstacle for a site with non-standard functionality. Making changes to the tasks of a particular project will require the introduction of third-party code into the "core" of the system, which actually negates the main advantages (security and stability) of using a commercial CMS.
In an overseas manner, these systems call "open-source CMS", and all because all such engines have the source code in the public domain. Updates of free CMS are carried out regularly, and the lack of technical support is compensated by a large number of specialists who, for a fee, can become a "contractor" of any site based on an open-source engine. You can copy, distribute, publish an improved version of free CMS without any restrictions or remorse.
The most common free CMS in Ukraine:
- MODX CMS;
Disadvantages of open-source systems
- After expanding the functionality of the system, there is a high probability that it will not be possible to correctly update the engine.
- Unfriendly interface of the site administration panel.
- Open source is a direct threat to the security of the site. Freeware content management systems are much easier to hack than their less altruistic counterparts, which is what everyone who can and likes to do. For example, resources that use some versions of the CMS Joomla are often subjected to various hacker attacks: the introduction of shell scripts, spam mailings, viruses, etc. to the site.
Separately, I would like to consider content management systems that are prepared by numerous web studios.
The most famous studio CMS:
- RBC Contents;
Disadvantages of studio engines
- It is often closed code. Give preference to "open" engines, otherwise only the developer of this product can make subsequent changes. When choosing a studio CMS, you need to immediately make sure: make sure that the engine is written by well-known programming tools and third-party developers can take care of its further support.
- Link to the studio. A disadvantage can also be an advantage. The reputation of the web studio in this matter plays a huge role. Developers of an exclusive CMS can painlessly make changes and correctly configure the engine for the needs of a particular resource, providing the same high-quality technical support as in the case of boxed content management systems. The catch is that if for some reason the development studio ceases to exist, then making changes to the closed source engine becomes a difficult task. Without a long update, the system not only becomes obsolete, but also risks becoming easy prey for hackers. Accordingly, it is necessary to approach the choice of a CMS provider with particular scrupulousness.
- Code without the use of well-known frameworks is a problem for young and inexperienced developers; in this case, there is no need to talk about the quality, functionality and safety of the engine.
Benefits of Studio CMS
- Regular updates, which means increased project security.
- If the studio uses common frameworks (Zend Framework, YII, Codeigniter), there is no risk and problems with the subsequent refinement of the system in a third-party studio.
- The possibility of implementing an individual project with non-standard functionality.
- The cost of developing on a studio engine is often cheaper than with a boxed version, and this is an indisputable plus, especially if the studio has a good reputation.
Each type of content management system has its advantages and disadvantages, choose which ones you can put up with. We are literally at this moment actively working on a CMS based on the Zend Framework, its price is affordable compared to commercial systems, and its rich functionality allows you to create sites like rozetka.com.ua synchronized with 1C. Very soon, a debut resource based on AngryCMS from Webakula will appear in our portfolio.