Google Ads with Maximum Effect: Creating a Takeoff Campaign
How to make sales skyrocket? Of course, advertising is needed. After all, the more users on the network know about you, the more goods you can sell. But there are also failed advertising campaigns, literally "draining the budget" to nowhere. To avoid this, you need to make advertising guaranteed to be effective.
Of course, no one will tell you the exact volume of sales. But they can name methods thanks to which investments in advertising will definitely pay off with interest. But before you start setting up and paying, decide on your goals. An advertising campaign without a goal will not lead to a result. And if some kind of “exhaust” happens, then it will be impossible to measure it. After all, there was no goal in the first place! The most common goals are to increase customer reach, increase brand loyalty and increase demand for products (more often for a specific direction if the company offers several of them).
Recommendations for setting metrics
For an example of working with advertising campaigns, let's take Google with its metrics and analytics. After you have chosen a goal, you need to decide on the metrics, that is, understand what exactly you will control, how exactly you will begin to evaluate the result and return on investment.
Here are the options:
- If customers need to be introduced to the brand, then it is estimated: the number of new visitors to the site, the number of clicks on ads, coverage, frequency of impressions, traffic growth.
- If you need to generate demand for a service or product, then they pay attention to engagement, engagement rate, behavioral indicators, including session duration or the number of bounces.
- In the case where the goal is only sales, then the number of direct conversions, the overall conversion rate and the return on investment are evaluated. In particular, be sure to pay attention to how many users made a purchase immediately after clicking on the ad.
Not only efficiency is important, but also the competitiveness of advertising. To determine it, the relative CTR is used, that is, how much your ad performs better than competitors' ads. It is also worth analyzing the percentage of received impressions: it is desirable that it be as close as possible to 100% (that is, the number of available and received impressions must match).
Target Audience Selection
In order to choose the right targeting settings, you will need to know as much as possible about your target audience. The key information is interests. Compare the information you know about the target audience with analytics from Google Adwords. This way you can be sure that your ads are shown to the right users. In addition, you can always add qualifying keywords if there is no direct match of interests in the settings.
You will also need to test audiences. Usually, combinations of five typical settings are changed:
When specifying keywords, be sure to select the “audience” parameter. This is how ads are shown to users who are interested in products and services related to the mentioned keywords. It is also recommended to target similar groups if you already have experience of successful promotion in at least one of them.
In some cases, special audiences are created. In this case, all selection criteria are set independently, by interests, names, or by target links.
Exclusion of irrelevant impressions
To do this, you need to set the correct initial advertising settings, and here's what they do:
- Limit the frequency of impressions: no more than 5 per day for a unique user.
- Exclude remarketing audiences so that the campaigns you run don't interfere with each other.
- Reduce rates for mobile gadgets if the site is not adapted or it is not relevant for you.
- Exclude categories of sites that are not related to your offer.
- Use automatic rules to exclude irrelevant sites.
In order for an advertising campaign to be guaranteed to pay off, all settings will have to be optimized in the process. So, it is recommended to exclude irrelevant sites at least once every 5-7 days. The audit is carried out by analyzing the report on placements. It is also worth updating the banner periodically to attract attention again, and run some of the ads as “adaptive”. And remember that a combination of different targeting and experiments with the interests of the target audience works well.